What is the 80/20 Rule to Building a Blog?

What is the 80/20 Rule to Building a Blog?

by David Kovacs – GET FREE UPDATES

When the internet began, there was only a handful of web pages, blogs and they were handled and created by programmers.

This is not the case anymore.

Over the past decade, sites have grown by the million and the average “Joe” is now able to create, design, and maintain their own websites.

Like me, I am an average Joe. :)​

That has made it easier for people to share their thoughts and ideas, while at the same time, more difficult for them to be seen.

Just a few short years ago, the idea in SEO was to stuff websites with content to trigger search engines to increase ranking.

Where did that get us?

The truth is that it didn’t get us far.

What we ended with is millions of web pages that had nothing but nonsense on them.

Using words to “trick” search engines, we completely forgot that websites are designed for humans, not computer programs.

Sure, by creating websites that are stuffed with words to trigger automation, you may get people to your site (for a while).

Once there, however, they find no value and won’t ever return again.

The new rule for blog building is what I refer to as the “80/20” rule.

In essence, that means that you want to spend 20 percent of the time creating content for your website and the other 80% not creating more it, but promoting what has already been written.

Easy right?

For example I manually promote all of my published blog posts every single day.

20% time spent to content writing and 80% spent on promotion.

I tweet them out 3-4 times per day, I submit them to Google Plus communities or Quora etc. You can learn more my social promotion strategies here.

80-20-rule

I want to help people and I want them to come back for more actionable strategies later on.

Instead of trying to up the amount of people who see your blog, focus on those people that you drive there.

See my point?

Almost like friendships versus acquaintances, you want to focus on those people in your life who are real and keep those acquaintances on standby.

So what is content really about?

The search engines have finally caught on to what content is.

It is about actually reaching your target audience through marketing with words that mean something.

Google led the charge with changes to the way that they categorize their websites. Realizing that there were too many SEO experts tricking the system with ineffectual content, they switched gears.

Google now uses things such as repeat views, mobile app-ease and user-friendliness, as ways to increase your search engine presence.

In response, there has been a return to common sense by those who wish to build a successful blog.

The way to increase your search engine rankings is to use content that is entertaining, engaging and has value-added.

Of course SEO is still very important…​

Got it?

It is no longer just about driving people to your site; it is about keeping them there and wanting them to return again.

Going from simple content to advertising content, is making websites more usable and giving them a purpose again, instead of their sole purpose being a tool to drive unsuspecting traffic.

So, how can you make sure your blog and blog posts will be successful?

The way to build a website is with the belief that it exists for the purpose of engaging the reader and giving them something they need.

The key becomes to get them to want to follow you and to return again frequently.

Not only will that increase the likelihood they will build brand familiarity and loyalty, but it will also increase your overall ranking.

How can you spend time advertising your blog?

Most creative people don’t have an endless supply of creativity.

There are times when they have it, and then it almost runs dry.

When you are building your blog, use the times when you have something to say, to say it.

Use the additional time to promote it.

Useful ways to promote your blog site are with tools like email marketing.

Email marketing is …